Re: brownprint question

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/05/03-10:19:39 AM Z

Chris,

As far as I am concerned brownprint is useless as a categorizing
term. James appears to be the only author who has used it in the
contemporary period but as far as I am concerned the process that he
describes as brownprint is really nothing more than a variant of
vandyke.

I certainly would not call a kallitype based on ferric oxalate a
brownprint. The best label for me is the broad category of
silver/iron, and within it kallitype based on ferric oxalate and
vandyke based on ferric ammonium citrate. Other ferric salts have
been used as sensitizers in the past, and some are still used today,
but overall the majority of work done with silver/iron processes is
with either ferric oxalate or ferric ammonium citrate. (And of course
the other citrates, such as ferric citrate, sodium ferric citrate,
etc. appear to work much more like FAC than with FO.

Sandy