RE: Thomas Duplex Sodium Vapor Safelight

From: Vince Dobson (manitec@bellsouth.net)
Date: 04/05/03-10:18:00 PM Z

Don,

I've not tried mine, not haven started in Alt. Processes, but you can
regulate with the filters - I have color filters and they are plenty light
enough for anything. A big factor is the age of your filters - with age
they get brighter. Even with new filters, timed test strips gave me damage
in about 30 seconds. I put a black plastic square on the ceiling above the
safelight and now have about 2 minutes before damage, plenty off time. My
plastic square did not cover the entire area of reflectance - enlarging it,
or putting a more matt surface would increase my time.

So experiment and do test strips and regulate by getting new filters, color
filters, or adding black on the ceiling. This way you will find a perfect
balance for your particular process with the time you need before adverse
affect. The output is infinitely controllable.

One important note --- it would not be wise to use a yellow safelight to
apply a yellow liquid like cyanotype - how would you know if you were
getting proper coverage?