Re: Paper for Gum Printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 05/09/03-04:02:24 PM Z

I'm amazed that Chris was able to print gum over silver paper,
> because I've just never been able to make that work, even on a matte
> surface.
> Katharine Thayer

Katharine et al,
     I should clarify that I tried it on semi matte and glossy and no way.
It worked on Ilford matte MGIV only, which seems to be a very absorbent
paper. The problem is really that while you are coating you get those "fish
eyes" as I think Jack Brubaker called them, and you have to keep brushing to
make sure you have an even coat, and no streaks. I assume Tween or
Everclear might help but I was just testing this as a quickie aside and
didn't get that deeply into it. Then the next problem was that the paper
sinks to the bottom of the tray/bathtub and hits the bottom and mars, so I
would recommend developing face up. The bottom line is I got it to work but
it isn't something I feel driven to do again by any means. So--success,
yes, but perfection, probably not what I would call a "must try".
     I am still, tho, blown away by the detail I have gotten from simple
paper negs printed on Clearprint vellum from an unadorned 300dpi file on my
lowly Epson 800 printer. That has been the "test of the day" while trying
to finish writing my !%!%$% manual. I was blown away last week by the
imagesetter negs, and now this. Digital has come a long way.
     I wish there were some site we could upload test images to, short of
doing my own website which I keep putting off, that we could all refer to
when talking about different things. In other words, a website that would
hold the image for a week and then it would poof! into cyberspace.
Chris