Re: Paper for Gum Printing

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/09/03-12:47:00 PM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I'm amazed that Chris was able to print gum over silver paper,
> > because I've just never been able to make that work, even on a matte
> > surface.
> > Katharine Thayer
>
> Katharine et al,
> I should clarify that I tried it on semi matte and glossy and no way.
> It worked on Ilford matte MGIV only, which seems to be a very absorbent
> paper. The problem is really that while you are coating you get those "fish
> eyes" as I think Jack Brubaker called them, and you have to keep brushing to
> make sure you have an even coat, and no streaks.

In my experience the problem isn't about streaks or unevenness of
coating; it's that the paper was too hard and slick and there wasn't
anything for the gum to hang onto. While it coated and printed fine, the
hardened gum just went shloop off the paper as soon as it hit the water,
as one might expect given that gum does need some "tooth" to hang on
to. I don't remember what papers I tried; it was a long time ago, and
at any rate I found another way to do whatever it was I wanted to do
with the gum over silver, so I've never given it any more thought.
kt