Re: Paper for Gum Printing

From: Kerik (Kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 04/10/03-10:27:10 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> On the label it says "www.clearprintpaper.com, 100% cotton, drafting
> and design vellum, 16lb traditional. 1-800-766-7337. I don't think this
> is any better than any of the other vellums that have cropped up on this
> list as being suitable for negatives, such as Bienfang, or others. I
> just had
> heard about it and lo and behold it was at this one University bookstore
> so I bought it. It's cheap too, 30c an 8.5x11.

As an aside, I just began using this paper for platinum printing with very
good results. I've also been working with Staedtler Mars Transluscent
Vellum, but the latest batch I received has been prone to black spots. The
Clearprint gives a very similar print to the Staedtler, but (so far), black
spots have been much less of a problem. I presume it would work well with
other iron-based processes. The print quality is stunning.

The paper Christina described is Clearprint 1000H. They also make two
heavier versions, 1020 and 1025 Papercloth (20 lb and 25 lb), although
these seem to be more difficult to find. I just received some of each of
these yesterday and they also printed very well. The Clearprint website
seems to be defunct. Googling will locate suppliers of these papers.

Kerik
www.Kerik.com