Re: UV Enlarger

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 04/11/03-12:21:55 PM Z

From: Ed Stander <glassact@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: UV Enlarger
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:26:32 -0400

> El-nikkor lenses pass a lot of UV. It's been a while since I ran
> the tests, but I believe they pass 60 % of light (or more) at 330nm.
> I'll check it again next week if anyone is interested.

Ok, that's impressive, but the next question is how well aberrations
are corrected, and how do you focus the image.

Given the kind of expected longitudinal chromatic aberration from
enlarging lenses, I suppose focusing with white light and exposing
with UV is not going to be accurate. Is EL Nikkor soooo good that this
isn't an issue, or do you have a way to focus with UV light?

I currently spend most my effort in silver gelatin, but since I like
to exploit a bit deep into silver chloride emulsions (and I like to
make large enlargements on them... preferrably without adding much
bromide) I'm interested in this discussion.

Ryuji Suzuki