Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 04/14/03-12:48:35 PM Z

either the sizing was too much and I could
brush the gum right off, or it was too little and the gum stained in grain
in the bumps of the paper, or the 2 coats of 1:10 was so uneven that I got
spotty leprous naked bodies.

Chris,

I think the leprous effect is due to too much dilution that the medium cannot
form a continuous film. The acrylic manufacturers do warn about too much
diulation, and they call this "mud crack" effect (if you look at a whole big
area, it does look like mud cracks somewhat.

(I tested 50/50 matte medium, 1/10 matte

> medium 1 coat, and 1/10 matte medium 2 coats)

I almost never use 1 coat, always 2 coats or more. Maybe it is just
psychological or the effect of engineering training which says that averaging
even outs random noise.

But considering your test, the first test was 1+1, the second 1+9. The jump
is high. I would, for example, test 1+1, 1+3, 1+6, 1+9 at the same time.

Dave S