Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/14/03-12:41:51 PM Z

Lisa,
     Tube. I have read, and keep hearing, that powder pigment gives less
staining problem so...the only way to relate the two I have found is Scopick
says to use 1g powder pigment to 6ml gum whereas 1g tube pigment to 3ml gum,
but I have not visually tested this side by side to see the strengths.
Maybe another thing to try....
     And as far as gamboge, Katharine: my gamboge is lightfast but you are
absolutely right, the name is applied to many different colors. The brand I
am using is Graham. I also wonder why watercolorists in particular still
use alizarin crimson (and gamboge) when they are definitely not lightfast.
Why paint if it won't last?
     And you are also right in that gamboge and raw sienna are not
interchangeable. In looking at my side by side test, they are similar in
hue but the raw sienna is milky and the other transparent. This made me
rethink a couple pigments I have on my pigment chart in my soon to be
manual--I have that Venetian Red and Q Burnt Scarlet (DS) are
interchangeable, but really they aren't. One is clear, transparent, and a
bit bricker red (the former) and the latter--a lovely color, is opaque.
Hence performance would be way different even tho the colors are comparable
and I have to watch saying that "you don't need both" on your palette when,
in fact, you may. Thanks for the heads up.
Chris