Re: chromium and gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/21/03-12:36:28 PM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

  I guess I need to go buy a tube of chromium yellow and find
> out :)

Hi Chris, I'd forget that if I were you; chrome yellow (PY 34) is a
pigment that's so bad even Winsor & Newton has taken it out of their
line! Besides changing color on exposure to light, it's got lead in it.

But funny you should mention chromium, ;-) since I've been working with
viridian (PG 18) today.

It all started last week when I found occasion to reflect on how
differently I approach color mixing for gum printing than I approach
color mixing for painting, which led to some deep thinking on color
mixing.

Armed with reflectance graphs and paints, I did some experiments and in
playing around with color mixing I found that viridian mixes with red
(specifically PR 175) to make a stunning dark, a black with red glowing
through it, and have spent the day trying to make this color print in
gum. I won't bore you all with the details of my tests, except to say
that I found that the mixed color didn't work as well as printing the
two colors in separate layers, which shouldn't come as a surprise to gum
printers, but that either way I was never able to reproduce the glowing
deepness of this color in gum. The mixed color produced very bizarre,
erratic results unlike anything I've seen before; whether this was due
to the chromium in the paint I really can't say. But I can say that the
viridian by itself printed fine, about the way you would expect. There
wasn't a lot of density to it but viridian is a fairly weak pigment to
start with, so you wouldn't expect a lot of density from it. I would be
hard pressed to say there was a bleaching effect.
kt