Re: Satista

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 04/23/03-07:38:53 AM Z

> A few questions about the Satista process.
>
> 1. In what way is the final print like or unlike a kallitype print
> that has either been toned in pt/pd, or to which pt/pd has been added
> to the sensitizing solution. By this question I mean to ask if there
> is a different, unique look that is rendered?
>
> 2. Is there some archival advantage to the process over regular
> kallitype, or is Satista just another variation of making a
> silver/iron print based on ferric oxalate?
>
> Sandy King

Sandy,

1. When I tried out the process, the point seemed to be that they were
visually identical to platinum and platinum-like kallitype prints.

2. Satista has a cost advantage over platinum, which was the reason for
its introduction. I think the archival properties are likely to be
dependent on the amount of iron left in the print and the state of
division of the silver in the image. Platinum toning has been claimed to
increase the stability of kallitypes.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com