Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 04/27/03-11:21:45 AM Z

Hello Sandy, my kalli developer experience is similar. I can't reuse the
developer too much or I get staining. I'm working quite large and my
usual procedure is less "measured" that yours. I simply throw out 1/2 of
the developer each session and replace it with fresh mixed developer the
next session. It should be noted that about 1/2 of my Kalli printing is
onto cotton fabric (rather than paper) and that may be a factor. I keep
my platinum developer going almost indefinately, only replacing what is
carried out.

On Sunday, April 27, 2003, at 09:56 AM, Sandy King wrote:

> Judy Seigel wrote:
>

>> Someone had also done a thesis about printing platinum which B&S also
>> distributed. Those two together were far better, IMO, than the
>> supposedly "definitive" book on kallitype, by nameless.
>>

> Your note reminds me of a question I have about something in Carmen
> Lizardo's article on vandyke and kallitype printing in the last issue
> of PFP. Is she on this list? If not, please pass my comment and
> question on to her.
>
> ON p. 22, in discussing the kallitype developer, Carmen write,
> "Finally, don't throw out your used developer; the more you use it the
> better it gets." My experience is slightly different. What I have found
> is that as a sodium acetate or sodium citrate developer is re-used
> there is an increasing tendency for the paper to develop a stain in the
> sensitized but unexposed areas of the print, and after a certain point
> the stain becomes so severe that it is not possible to clear it
> completely in the clearing bath. The only way I have found to prevent
> this stain with used developer is to replenish the developer, which I
> keep in one-liter containers, at the rate of about 200ml of fresh
> solution for approximately every 500 square inches of image area
> developed.
>
> I would be interested in Carmen's comments on this, as well as comments
> from other kallitype printers. Comments from platinum printers also
> appreciated since there may be a common thread here on developer
> exhaustion.
>
> Sandy

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com