Re: Cotton - Kallitype/VDB, was Re:Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 04/27/03-04:44:41 PM Z

"Duck cloth" or "canvas" was too textured for what I wanted. I'm using a
high quality medium/fine cotton dress shirt type fabric. Jeffrey D.
Mathias who does wonderful platinum on somewhat similar cloth helped me
out both with his website ( http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/ )
and with some direct info.

A few general comments: It takes "about" 3 times the volume of chemistry
to coat cloth compared to paper. You have to "soak" the cloth quite
deeply during coating, so a few layers of absorbant paper (paper towels)
behind the cloth really helps. You don't need a high quality brush or a
soft touch. You aren't going to hurt the "delecate paper surface"!!
Exposure and contrast are (on my cloth) close to paper norms. Cloth
takes about 50% extra time to dry after coating. I have a more even coat
if I wash (machine) the cloth , dry it, then iron it flat (I assume I'm
washing out something from the manufacturer). Watch that any duck or
canvas you buy is "raw" and not "primed". Good luck.
On Sunday, April 27, 2003, at 01:58 PM, Larry Roohr wrote:

> Well Tom, you inspired me. I ran out and purchased some cotton 'duck'
> cloth
> and have it coated with VDB and drying right now, following tips from
> Bob
> Schramm in PF#1. I'm wondering if you have any advice to add for alt
> cotton
> (or canvas) printing?
>
> Where this is coming from is I've been to China quite a bit lately, and
> managed to stop by the Hong Kong art museum last trip, the large
> vertical
> ink drawings on cloth suspended from dowels (as wall hangings) were
> lovely,
> Bob's article came to mind, and the wheels started turning.
>
> thanks,
>
> Larry

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com