Re: Re: Mouldy cyanotype solution

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/28/03-12:45:23 PM Z

I have a little refrigerator in the cellar, too, for photo chemicals -- I
do NOT figure what the electricity costs per month, but at a rough
estimate I'd say ultimately equal to the value of the chemicals
"preserved" therein.

However two comments about "preservation" -- contrary to the experience of
I forget who it was on the list, I found that Cyanotype A solution rarely
gets moldy a second time... or only a *little* mold, and once you clean
that out, that's all.... as if there were a limited capacity to grow mold.

The other point re "preservation" was about gum arabic -- Christina was
wondering how to preserve her home mixed gum, and mentioned that she'd
"heard" formaldehyde was no good. People may no longer have a hit of
formaldehyde handy as we used to, since it got so popular for making
crack, or whatever, and become hard to get... but I found that ONE DROP of
the 40% solution in a little 2-ounce dropper bottle preserved it
indefinitely with no apparent effect on prints.

Judy