Re: Van Dyke problem

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/28/03-08:55:13 AM Z

You did not say anything about your negative. Are you using the same
ones as at the workshop? VDB requires a negatives with more contrast
than any of the other alternative processes, except perhaps salted
paper. How much contrast? Unless you adjust the sensitizer I have
found that a negative with density range of about 2.2 and even higher
is needed. If you try to print a VDB with a negative with lower
density range, say one of 1.4 intended for Pt/Pd printing, the
result will be a very low-contrast, murky print of the type you
describe.

There could be other problems of course, but in my experience the
nunmber one reason people get flat and murky prints with VDB is
because they are are working with the wrong kind of negative.

Sandy King