Re: modification of 16-bits.

From: Nigel Miller (nm1@bolton.ac.uk)
Date: 08/05/03-06:00:42 AM Z

Hi Juan

I suspect that the 'trick' is something like this:

1. change a copy of your original 16 bit image to 8 bit

2. Modify this image, curves contrast etc

3. Convert this copy back to 16 bit (although it will only have 8 bit data)

4. Open the original un modified 16 bit file and the modified file together
in photoshop

5. 'Select All' on the modified image file, copy and paste on to the
original image.

6. Now you will have an image of two layers. By altering the opacity of the
top layer (modified image) you can allow more or less of the original image
to show through (or merge) with the modified image resulting in a combined,
truly 16 bit, image.

I tend to slightly 'over do' the modification on the 8 bit image so that
when the images are combined the opacity may have to be dropped to 50% or
less to give the most pleasing final image.

I hope that this helps.

Nigel Miller