Re: inkjet negs palladium prints

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/05/03-10:07:55 AM Z

Answer #1: Yes. Depending on which media settings and inks you use.
Sandy King has measured the UV density of inkjet with a UV transmissive
densitometer and has found that it is higher than that measured with a standard
transmissive densitometer... I believe it was in the range of log 3.5 or 3.6—Sandy
can give a more definitive answer. Sandy?

Answer #2: What would be your method of evaluating the difference between a
silver halide negative and an inkjet? Smooth tones? Sharpness? You can
"sort of" get an idea of what the image would look like in terms of smoothness
and sharpness by printing the image on one of the current higher resolution
inkjet printers....like the Epson 2200 or the Epson 1280. Print the image at
360 ppi on a Premium Glossy Photo Paper or on Pictorico and see how it looks.
 Examine it with a loupe. Try using black ink only vs. color ink and see if
it is any smoother. Look at it without a loupe...see if you can see any dots.
  One thing you will notice is that the texture of the paper can quickly
override any dots or obscure them.

Be aware that your printer settings will influence smoothness, sharpness and
banding. Also note that often the prints look better than the negative.
There is something about how the negatives print that seems to be somewhat
forgiving.

Mark Nelson