Re: inkjet negatives

From: Kerik (Kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 08/05/03-05:52:54 PM Z

Hey Mateo!

At APIS (you shoulda been there!) I saw some palladium prints that Keith
Schreiber made from Pyro-colored inkjet negs, as well as a couple of Sandy
King's Pd-toned Kallitypes made from negs output with the Epson 2000P.
These prints were all in the 11x14 to 12x18 range. I believe Keith's
originals were 8x10 and Sandy's were 5x7. The prints were beautiful.
Smoooooth tones and as sharp and detailed as any sane person would want.
I've started having some success with Pyro-inkjets on my Epson 1280 printer
after fighting with some banding problems. I also just picked up an Epson
2000P CHEAP, so I'll be trying Sandy's approach next. I know you can't tell
much from a JPG, but the opening image on my website (www.kerik.com) is a
gum-over-platinum made with a Pyro-inkjet neg from a 6 megapixel Canon 10D
file. The original print is really quite nice.

Is it 'the same' as a print from an in-camera neg? No. Does that matter?
No.
Could I have gotten this shot with a 12x20 camera?
Not a chance.

I have no plans to give up film, but it's nice to have more options at my
disposal. You're too young to be a stick-in-the-mud! (insert smiley face
here).

Later,
Kerik