Cyanotype curve

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 08/05/03-11:49:20 PM Z

Hi all,

There's a cyanotype curve in the companion CD of Dan's book (don't
remember the donator's name). What is the correct way of using that
curve? I made a "Color Table" spectral negative on Pictorico OHP (with a
Stylus Photo 890 - Photoshop color settings as supplied in Dan's web
site, printer driver settings as recommended for Stylus Photo 1280,
color = 0 55 55 0) using that curve and the print was very flat. Should
I print it using the "Colorize" method? I didn't try the latter option
because the highlights get very dense when using "Colorize" method +
that curve (I'm afraid of mottling/smearing in highlights - dense parts
of the negative I mean).

This is the best what I managed to get with Pictorico OHP + 1280
Platinum Curve (and 1280 printer driver settings) on my 890:
http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/cyanotype-03.jpg
What do you think? I don't like it much, it is too contrasty (washed out
higlights and burned shadows) and the tones in the step table are not
linear...

This is how the print should look like (except for its color):
http://abone.tnn.net/lorism/cyanotype-01-inkjet-version.jpg
(This is the same file I used to print the inkjet negative - I just
added the set wedge in the negative)

Do you think one can get the same tonal range/smoothness and quality
with a cyanotype print? Or am I fighting with windmills?

Regards,
Loris.