Re: Fabriano Artistico NOT 300gsm

From: Richard Urmonas (rurmonas@tpg.com.au)
Date: 08/09/03-05:15:15 PM Z

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 05:29 am, you wrote:
> Thanks again Richard, one last question: how weak is your vinegar wash.
> Last weekend, I tried a splash (say... around 20 - 30ml) of white vinegar
> (vinegar made of: alcohol + lemon) to around 800 - 1000ml of water and the
> print came out incredibly flat (with stained highlights)... Do you find
> this vinegar:water proportion strong?

Loris,

I use a much higher concentration. At the moment I have been using
1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. However I need to do some tests.
Things have been very busy for me the last 5-6 months, so I have
had little time for experiments. I use cane sugar based vinegar.
This is the inexpensive type in big bottles from the supermarket.

The vinegar does increase the tonal range of the image, but this
is only a small effect, from memory the change was only one step
on a step wedge. However this may change depending on
light source, your chemicals, paper etc. etc.

Highlight staining is something I had a problem with as well.
No-one on this list could help me establish a cause. It appears
that some papers stain, and others do not. There is also some
effect due to the chemicals, water etc. as papers that others had
good results with, produced stains in my tests. Artististico is
one of the few which did not stain. Cartridge paper gives
good results, but I have not had luck finding the heavy weight
Australian made cartrdige locally. Instead they offer light weight
Indonesian made, which is OK but the print is not as good
as I got with the Australian cartridge. Rising Stonehenge
clears well, but I found the details tended to "bleed".

Hope this is of some help.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas