Re: Epson C82 Printer and Digital Negatives

stwang1@bellsouth.net
Date: 08/11/03-01:49:33 PM Z

Stuart,

I just came across one of my earlier gum/cyanotype prints made from 300 dpi digital
negatives. Not bad.

So your question is really hard to answer. On one hand, almost any printer that could
make marks on a piece of transparency film can be used to make fine alternative process
prints. But if your requirement is that it be indistinguishable from camera negatives, or
that you wanted to print in one printing of platinum or vandyke only, then it would be
harder. Can the C82 do the latter? It certainly has the resolution. Would it give enough
density and would it still be smooth? That's a big maybe. Could you just use Dan's curve
for colorized negative and get perfect results? No.

I have had the C80 for a long time, but preferred to make negatives on the HP before I
got the 2200. I am fairly sure that the C80 could have worked, especially since I work in
multiple layers of cyanotype and gum.

Hope this helps.

Sam Wang