I received my first large format camera: help wanted

curzon@tegenlicht.com
Date: 08/17/03-04:34:22 AM Z

Hello everybody,
I received my first large format camera 2 weeks ago: A Russian FKD 18x24 cm
with a 300 mm lens. (see www.tegenlicht.com/camera/camera_fdk18x24.htm ).
It's a real beaty. I know: it's not a Lotus or any other professional brand,
but it has a beautiful lens and only costed $200 including shipping.
It has no shutter so I'll juse the lenscap as a shutter.
I've spend a whole day just watching the focus screen. There's a whole new,
wonderful world opening up to me. If I was Shakespear I would wright a poem
about it....

I want to use this camera to make larger negatives for Cyanotype, VanDyke
Brown and Bromoil printing. I'm new at these techniques so I'm taking a
course in September and November.

I made my first (test)shot in a church on Ilford photopaper (about ISO 3 or
5). It came out beautiful. I exposed for 30 seconds.
I also made a few pictures from the tower but these pictures are
overexposed. Exposure from 1 to 2 seconds by hand is a bit difficult. I
think I'll look for a second hand lens (smaller than 300 mm) with a build-in
shutter. (Anybody who has one to spair??)

I used photopaper to make paper negatives. I gently tear the plastic layer
from the back of the Ilford paper and then use Parafine oil on the paper
layer on the back. This makes it easier to see through the negative and this
way you shorten the exposure time for contact printing by a half!!

I have a few questions:
1)Is there anybody out there who also uses a Russian FKD large format
camera? If so, can you tell me about it?
2) Has someone any left-over (outdated) filmsheets for me to start
learning/testing this camera? Overhere these films are expensive (if
available at all).
3) I believe 4x5" sheets are easier to get then 18x24 cm sheets. Is it
possible to cut these larger filmsheets to the right size like I do with
photopaper?
4) I have never developt sheet films: only 35 mm and 120 film. Is there
anybody who has the tools for it and can send it to me?
5) Does anyone have a lens to spare for 18x24 format (or 5x10" format) with
a shutter?
6) Does anyone have a lensboard or filmholders for the FKD camera for sale?

(I'll pay for the items and shippingcosts.)

Thanks,
Bert Kuijer from Holland
email offline: curzon@dds.nl