Re: I received my first large format camera: help wanted

From: Marco Pauck (marco@pauck.de)
Date: 08/21/03-04:54:01 PM Z

curzon@tegenlicht.com schrieb:
> Hello everybody,
> I received my first large format camera 2 weeks ago: A Russian FKD 18x24 cm
> with a 300 mm lens. (see www.tegenlicht.com/camera/camera_fdk18x24.htm ).
[...]
> I have a few questions:
> 1)Is there anybody out there who also uses a Russian FKD large format
> camera? If so, can you tell me about it?

I have a web page that has some information on the FKD:
http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuff/fkd/fkd.html

> 2) Has someone any left-over (outdated) filmsheets for me to start
> learning/testing this camera? Overhere these films are expensive (if
> available at all).

I'm currently using x-ray mammography ('Tit-X') film which I got very
cheaply via eBay. Also have a look at http://www.fotoimpex.de for
inexpensive film in 18x24.

> 3) I believe 4x5" sheets are easier to get then 18x24 cm sheets. Is it
> possible to cut these larger filmsheets to the right size like I do with
> photopaper?

Yes, but I think it's not worth the hassle.

> 4) I have never developt sheet films: only 35 mm and 120 film. Is there
> anybody who has the tools for it and can send it to me?

Have a look at this site and you'll find everything you need to know:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info

> 5) Does anyone have a lens to spare for 18x24 format (or 5x10" format) with
> a shutter?

Sorry, no ;-)

> 6) Does anyone have a lensboard or filmholders for the FKD camera for sale?

You can easily make your own lensboards.

However, filmholders are very difficult to get - i have only one!
Being limited to only two exposures during a session or trip forces
you to really think before shooting ... ;-)

You should also consider subscribing to the large format mailinglist: