RE: metal halide grow lights as a light source

From: Monnoyer Philippe (monnoyer@imec.be)
Date: 08/21/03-03:29:49 AM Z

Hello Leonard,

A metal halide lamp is a good buy. It has a lot of advantages.
You have gallium doped or iron doped lamps. Choose the iron doped lamp (iron iodide). It emits wavelenghts exactly were iron salts (oxalates, citrates) are sensitive. That way you drastcally lower the exposure time. Another significant advantage is to have a point source. Broad sources like fluorescent UV tubes have a softening effect on the image (which might be a choice, ...)
I personnaly couldn't afford to pay for the complete setup: iron doped lamp 1000 W + reflector + shutter + fan etc .... around 1500 EUR.
I bought the High voltage generator, the starter and the bare bulb. It costed me 300 EUR and I am very satisfied ! I just turn on the UV when I got outside the room.

If you want some extra info on such lamps check (for example) this site:
http://www.sadechaf.be/sadeen/saden3fr.htm

you see on the figures that with the iron doped lamp, all the power is concentrated between 300 and 400 nm where the alt-phot sensitisers are sensitive.

I have very reproducible results with my 1000 W iron iodide MH lamp. I recommend it.

Philippe