Moholy-Nagy Pronunciation

From: Jeff Buckels (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 08/27/03-10:00:22 PM Z

>From page 87 of the Getty Museum's IN FOCUS, LASZLO MOHOLY-NAGY:

Katherine Ware: Hattula [daughter of LM-N], you pronounce your last
name differently than the rest of us have been pronouncing your father's
name-you're saying "Moholy-Nagie" rather than "Moholy-Nawdge." Could
you explain?

Hattula Moholy-Nagy: Well, I am sometimes corrected about it! The
Hungarian pronunciation is "Mo-hoy-Neug." . Hungarian is a very
logical language-its orthography follows its pronunciation, but it's
different from English. So when we came to this country, we settled on
the mispronunciation "Moholy-Nagie." ..

-JB