Re: factories: updates and corrections welcome

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 08/28/03-02:39:03 AM Z

 --- Ryuji Suzuki <rs@silvergrain.org> からのメッセ・踉札?

> Don't forget Konica or Konishiroku of Japan. They
> are older than
> Fujifilm and even older than Eastman Kodak Company.

Well, not exactly.

This thread is about emulsion manufacturers (factories)...

The person behind what became Konishiroku, later Konika,
was a businessman who catered to the photographic needs of
the Japanese public long before Eastman ever caught
"gelatin fever"; but it was long after Eastman Kodak had
become a world class emulsion manufacturer that an
Englishman tried unsuccessfully to introduce dry plate
manufacture to Japan... Both Konishi and what eventually
became Fujifilm had a very difficult time of it.

Japan never really had any lasting success to speak of
till getting help from America and Germany.

That said, I have always admired "Konisiroku" for their
leadership in Japan. They have along list of firsts to
their credit. Unfortunately, someone always came and out
did them; They seem not to have gotten the respect they
deserve.

Ray