Re: Dichromate dilution and speed

From: Gary Nored ^lt;gnored@centurytel.net>
Date: 12/01/03-09:43:55 PM Z

On 1 Dec 2003, at 5:53, Clay wrote:

> I suspect that the reason for this is, as Judy
> stated, the fact that a dot is either 'on' or 'off' in these negs.

Im not sure that is altogether true. As I recall, Epson has been
using variable dot size technology for some time now, not to
mention the variable density that is afforded by using inks at
differing concentrations. Toss in the different weaving patterns, and
you've got something much more sophisticated than a simple on/off
system would lead one to believe.

Of course, photographic negatives aren't on/off either. Silver grains
vary both in size and opacity and their distribution is stochastic

It is not surprising that the two types behave so differently with
different processes. But I suspect that the differing absorption
spectra, rather than the physical structure of the images is what
leads to their differing behaviors with different processes.

Regards,
Gary Nored
http://home.centurytel.net/Gary_Nored/