Re: Film

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 12/01/03-09:30:16 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Salowey" <martworld.is@verizon.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 7:18 PM
Subject: Film

> Hi all,
>
> I have grown weary of Kodak's slicing and dicing policy
towards their
> analog B/W products. Discontinuing Super-XX a few years
back was horrific
> enough but messing around with Tri-x is nothing less than
unconscionable.
> Rather than put anymore time, effort and $$ into testing
and using Kodak
> products, that will eventually be discontinued or changed,
I am thinking
> about testing/using some of the "Little" players products.
Is anyone out
> there using the following films?
>
> * J and C Classic either 200 or 400 speed
> * Efke 25, 50 or 100
> * Bergger 200
> * Ilford Pan F or HP-5 (I know they are a "Big"
Player)

> What are you impressions of the films characteristics,
quality and
> consistency? What combinations of film and developers have
you found useful?

> I know that these are rather subjective questions but it
would serve as a
> point of departure in deciding whether or not pursuing
them as an
> alternative is worthwhile. Your input is greatly
appreciated.

> Marty

  Neither version of Tri-X has been changed. Kodak has
changed the coating procedure, probably the overcoating
only, so developing times may change slightly. Several Kodak
films now with slightly different names and different
package designs have, in fact, been made on the new coating
line for years and have not changed. All the T-Max films are
in the catagory. Kodak seems to have taken this opportunity
to re-test the films its still making. Since emulsion making
is not absolutely stable and uniform with time I would
expect some differences in measured times and published
curves. Remember, there is a caviat included in all the
development charts indicating that they are only guides.
  Kodak dropped Super-XX because they were not selling
enough. One can argue that they weren't trying hard enough
but that seems to have been their pattern, as well as
Agfa's, for decades.
  Agfa has also discontinued many excellent products but
somehow they don't get bashed the way Kodak does.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com