Re: Dichromate dilution and speed

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/02/03-12:45:50 AM Z

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Sandy King wrote:

> On the other hand, digital negatives produced by inkjet printers
> behave much more like continuous tone negatives than half tone
> negatives. They are quite responsive to small changes in exposure and
> to contrast controls and with both carbon and palladium I have not
> found them to be much different from regular in-camera continuous
> tone negatives, though they print a little faster for sure. My
> impression is that most of the people on this list talking about
> printing with digital negatives are using digital inkjet negatives.

 You may be right Sandy, but the difference may occur on several levels .
There's the difference between the hard silver dot of the service bureau
neg and the INK or PIGMENT dot on paper or film from the inkjet printer.

I think saying that continuous tone is also "a dot" except it's in silver
begs the issue--- look at it under the loupe & you see that it's not hard
edged in the way the digital film is, or the ones I've looked at
weren't... the edges are softer, diffused, especially on lith film
developed as continuous tone.

J.