Re: Gum viscosity

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/02/03-12:24:06 AM Z

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Gary Nored wrote:
> ... My best results have been with thin, watery coats ....

Gary, I've been saying that on this list approximately 3 times a week for
I think it's 17 years now. ... I add water to the dichromate to dilute it
AND the emulsion in part because a thin emulsion coats better, smoother,
easier, more evenly, and takes longer to get sticky so you have more time
to coat, especially a large print. It's also easier to develop -- the
thicker gum is softer when wet and more likely to collapse if you so much
as poke a tiny stick in it.

> I suppose I should ask Sam, but do you suppose that he gets such bright
> colors by keeping the water content down and thereby allowing for
> thicker gum coats, and of course, more pigment in each coat?

 I think it would work the other way -- more pigment in thicker gum would
tend to flake off. Bright colors come from using bright colors -- But I
also have a P-F article in work about another possible factor, but am not
going to steal the guy's thunder.... now.

Judy