Re: Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Color Scanner

From: Silver Plated ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 12/04/03-12:38:56 PM Z
Re: Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Color Scanner
The SilverFast AI is the 16 bit version of the product the SE is strictly an 8 bit bundle. I've tried the SE version shipped with my 2450 and the version shipped with the 3200 and neither produce better scans than the 16 bit Epson scanning software IMO, however I use VueScan which produces better results than either of the former scanning packages. VueScan is a reasonably priced package sold on the web at http://www.hamrick.com/ . VS supports ICC profiling of the scanner which makes a big difference when scanning color slides.

 VueScan supports many scanners unlike SilverFast which requires a different package for each scanner which is nice  for me since I own and use three different scanners. Not all scanners are supported, most notably  the Epson 3170.

I will say that VueScan has a much steeper learning curve especailly for the scanning neophyte and the user interface is not as graphically refined as the SilverFast or Epson products. It is also slower but it does IMO produce a better scan. A trial version can be downloaded so you can test it before you make a purchase. Versions are available for Mac, Windows, Linux OSs.

Happy scanning,

Don Bryant