Re: Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Color Scanner

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 12/05/03-11:32:31 AM Z

> Only the pro version has the SilverFast software bundled with it. I
> bought the pro version for that reason but, frankly, I find SilverFast
> very confusing -- neither the website or the directions on the CD are
> of much help -- and have only used the Epson software. What am I
> missing? Any advice? I cornered the LaserSoft guy at PhotoExpo, but
> he wasn't much help either... .
>
> Rita Bernstein

Rita,

I think what you are missing is a program called Vuescan from
www.hamrick.com, which, if it supports your scanner, will probably get the
last ounce out of it, especially if you want to scan negatives. However it
does take a little learning and trial and error to use well.

I've had SilverFast for two film scanners, but was never able to write the
kind of really glowing reviews I read elsewhere, despite days of effort
and following both the manuals that came with it and trying various
tutorials on the web.

I concluded it was a good program for more or less automating the scanning
process to get acceptable 24 bit results from slides, which made it very
useful for the busy photographer working on transparency.

Possibly for those who have only ever used the manufacturer's scanning
software - often very poor, especially for negatives, it is more
impressive.

Regards,

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/