RE: scanning for powerpoint

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 12/05/03-11:32:31 AM Z

> It is my understanding that screens will only display 72dpi.
> How does the 96dpi help?
> Seems it would only make the image larger and less manageable.
>
> Rocky
> Huston, TX
 Rocky,

Most PC screen displays seem to be around 100 dpi at the moment, 72dpi is
a nominal figure I think dating back to those early Macs with their small
black and white displays.

Most software takes no notice of dpi figures when displaying on screen in
any case. On some web pages I have images 600 pixels wide some with
resolution of 4800 dpi, others with resolution 300 dpi, and they all
display at the same size - 600 pixels wide, which on this screen is just
over 5 inches wide, but slightly larger on the LCD screen next to it.

I think you can think of a resolution figure as simply an instruction to
the input or output device, and one that is largely ignored when output is
to screen.

Actually the printing software I use ignores it as well, and prints things
the size I tell it, but that is a different story.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/