Re: B&S Carbon Tissue, was Re: Gum on Azo?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 12/06/03-09:45:53 AM Z

As far as I can determine Autotype tissue is just carbon tissue with
a funny color. But the color apparently has some importance for
gravure workers because it allows one to visually interpret the
density of the relief positive. In the chapter I did on tissue making
for David Morrish and Marlene MacCalum's book Copper Plate
Photogravure I did a lot of testing in an attempt to provide a
formula that would give a tissue similar in color and contrast to the
Autotype tissue. However, I know someone who uses regular carbon
tissue for gravure work so having the same color is obviously not an
essential part of the process.

There are also some differences in speed and development requirements
(time and temperature) between Autotype and B&S tissue but this
should be no problem for someone who knows how to control the
materials.

BTW, you mention a price of $305 for a roll of the Autotpe material.
How much is that per square foot?

Sandy