Re: spots and fish eyes

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 12/08/03-01:31:40 PM Z

Chris,

Since you don't have any other responce let me give it 2 cents worth. My
understanding in having the same thing happen in watercolor painting has
been that an area or spot on the surface of the paper is rejecting of the
water-based solution. In water color this is often a case of an oily finger
print or other polution of the paper surface. In gum printing I take it to
be related. It could be contamination from my hand or a spot of sizing that
is too "slick" to hold the water. In painting I learned to use a little
wetting agent in my water to stop this problem if it appeared. Sometimes
just scrubbing the area with the brush would overcome the problem. With
acrylic sized gum paper I use gentle abration with "Scotch-Brite" to roughen
the sized surface.

What do others do?

Jack