spots and fish eyes

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/08/03-06:53:29 AM Z

Good morning all!
     I was wondering what the group consensus is on the cause of fish eyes
in gum printing? Is it because the gum/pigment mix is too "limpid" as one
old author said (too watery)? Or is there another cause? This same author
talked about gum, when being mixed with the dichromate, goes into little
microscopic globules that causes this. Or spotty sizing?
     In the same vein, I have a most unusual print I did this week that I
would love Ed Buffaloe to show on his site (Ed?); it is really funny. It
fits with my project, which is using negs from my dad's collection from the
late 20's to the late 40's, digitizing the odd shaped negs, and printing
them out so they look like when people were trying to make black and white
color (can you tell I am not very eloquent this morning...) Anyway, there
are all these black spots all over one side, and a line down thru the middle
that looks like water damage. I am very sure it is uneven sizing of the
Fabriano paper--probably due to operator error in that with my shrinking of
the paper I put one too many pieces of paper in my bathtub and did not
agitate enough, or perhaps it could be manufacturer error. Anyone have a
similar problem?
Chris