Re: Fisheyes in Gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/09/03-04:08:34 AM Z

Chris,
This (the fact that it only happened with the Fabriano and not the
Rives) makes me even more suspicious that it's related to the internal
sizing of the Fabriano, though it could be something that happened at
the factory rather than in your bathtub. (This is why many gum printers,
including me, abandoned Arches Aquarelle a few years ago, as you
probably know, because it was coming from the factory with weird flaws
in the internal sizing). That line across looks to me like the internal
sizing gravitated there and settled along the edge of the damp area.

I read "Fabriano" and assumed "Fabriano Uno"; that was my mistake.

Gary asks what is the "unwetting agent" that is causing his fisheyes; I
would put 99cents of my dollar on gelatin. That one string of them
especially looks like gelatin somehow got splattered there as the
gelatin was starting to set, so instead of melting into the other
gelatin those splashes stayed separate and dried thicker than the rest
of the gelatin. That's my best guess. As to the other spots, in the
other picture, those I'll need to think about.
Katharine