2 gum things

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/10/03-01:58:46 AM Z

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> .....when you come from the "if a little is good, more
> is even better" generation, it just seemed like the more dichromate used,
> the quicker and better all would be. Kinda like "supersizing" the gum
> process.

Cleaning up back mail, I see I meant to comment here... some people cook
that way. For instance a person I know fairly well making a family fish
chowder recipe decided that 4 whole cloves (which the recipe calls for)
would be better as about 36 . They weren't. That thinking may also have
led, pardon my mention, Paul Anderson to 100% sodium dichromate.

Moving along to yesterday, I mention my own solution for any problem with
emulsion not spreading smoothly -- I keep a dropper bottle of Tween 20
(from Artcraft) on hand -- a couple of drops directly onto the wet
emulsion quickly worked in with the applicator solves almost any spreading
problem.

I don't think I've ever encountered "fish eyes," though in the days
before I began adding a drop of antifoam to the gelatin I sometimes got
bubbles -- plus, lifting the paper covered with wet gelatin, if it
touches anything (another piece of paper, the wall, whatever) it will make
bubbles, which dry sort of like fisheyes. Tween 20 seems to tame them
nicely -- tho as noted, no bubbles happen with a drop of anti-foam in the
gelatin.

Judy