Re: 2 gum things

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/10/03-02:21:12 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>
> > .....when you come from the "if a little is good, more
> > is even better" generation, it just seemed like the more dichromate used,
> > the quicker and better all would be. Kinda like "supersizing" the gum
> > process.
>
> Cleaning up back mail, I see I meant to comment here... some people cook
> that way. For instance a person I know fairly well making a family fish
> chowder recipe decided that 4 whole cloves (which the recipe calls for)
> would be better as about 36 . They weren't.

Somehow this reminds me of the time when a person I know fairly well
(that would be me) made Sauerbraten (it's a German dish involving
soaking meat in vinegar for several days before roasting, as I recall);
coming to the part where you add some gingersnap crumbs to the sauce,
she decided that since there were no gingersnaps in the cupboard, peanut
butter cookies should do just as well. My family still talks about that
peanut-butter Sauerbraten, along with other disasters and miracles that
have resulted from my tendency to freelance rather than follow recipes
precisely. The point being (to tie this back loosely to topic) that
while precision isn't always important-- when it is, it is.
kt