RE: Lith film

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 12/11/03-10:21:41 AM Z

Hi all,

I'm a total rookie, just started to to alt. process prints (Cyanotypes &
VanDykes) and I managed to make lith negatives suitable to print with
VanDyke technique (I think VanDyke tonal range is as long as Pt/Pd or
very close to it, am I wrong?). The prints were nice, continuous tone
prints with a wide tonal range. Unfortunately I didn't see any Pt/Pd
print so I don't have a reference to compare my prints with these (of
course I know that Pt/Pd prints have a very very smooth and mild
transitions in midtones) but all I can say is: to my rookie eyes lith
negatives do the job very nicely - that is making decent VanDyke prints
with a smooth and long tonal range - I guess this is not big deal for
you as you're trying to pring Pd without contrasting agents.

BTW, Philippe, does visible light density correlates to UV density? And,
did you try large format ISO 25 EFKE film? This is an old-type emulsion
- very rich in silver - maybe these will do the job as enlarged (or in
camera) negatives. BTW, I remember a person recommending me Kodak LAPD4
(I'm not sure about the code - don't remember) direct duplicating
(positive) film...

Regards,
Loris.