RE: Lith film

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 12/12/03-02:33:48 PM Z

Phillip Monnoyer wrote:

>What I encountered is indeed a problem of exposure range rather than
>a problem of density range (as Dave points it).

I really don't understand what Dave meant by his explanation. In my
work with lith film the density range *was* the exposure range. I
don't see how it could be otherwise, assuming you don't have some
kind of very strange curve.

>ear response over deltaD = 1.6, this means about 5.5 stops.
>And, in the same time, yes Sandy, I need a resulting enlarged neg
>showing a 3.2 density range. We all have our recipe variations, and
>in my case, with palladiotype, I need it. I don't feel like changing
>my working conditions, at least not now.

Well, if you really need a DR of 3.2 for PT/PD printing your working
method and/or chemistry is *very* different from mine. I am curious
why you need such a long DR. Any idea?

>Would there exist, in your various experiences, such a cheap lith
>film (point here is CHEAP not LITH) - developper combination,
>offering the translation of 1.6 deltaD exposure range into 3.2
>deltaD density range (or 2 if stained) ? If you say clearly YES,
>please provide all the ACCURATE details otherwise it is pointless
>for me. If you say NO, well, too bad, the "lith films" I tested
>couldn't seperate such an exposure range at all either.
>I think the question is very clear. I expect a yes or no answer
>(plus details if yes). It's maybe not the ideal way to enlarge
>negatives indeed, but I'm curious.

As for details, I used Liam Lawless' reversal method of development
with Freestyle APH film. I followed very closely the working
procedures what Liam recommended in the article that was published in
Post-Factory Photography so if you want details I recommend you get
a copy of that article and go from there. It is definitely possible
with this method to get an effective density range of over 3.0 as I
made a mistake several times and fell into that range when working
toward a lower DR for carbon printing.

If I were to make enlarged negatives from lith film again, which I
will not because I love the flexibility of digital enlarged
negatives, Liam's reversal method would definitely be what I would
recommend. The results I got from it were outstanding.

Sandy King