Re: A little gum test

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/15/03-06:18:33 AM Z

Kate Mahoney wrote:

> What's really interesting is that I NEVER use direct sun - all my prints are
> exposed in a corridor with high windows which reflects a lot of light - but
> I think the UV must be high because digital shots in the area always come
> out very blue on daylight setting. You would hardly think that 4 min
> exposures in diffuse light would be overexposed!

No, you sure wouldn't think so, would you? I'm throwing in the towel on
this one; I can't make heads or tails of it. I hate it that every time
I think I've got something figured out, it turns out to be more
complicated than I thought, but I think that's an occupational hazard of
being a gum printer. Whatever works for you, go for it, is the main
thing, and don't mind me over in the corner trying to make sense of
it.

I too have been surprised at how much UV there is in shade, even in my
sun-deprived part of the world. I've not printed outside very much, but
in my few experiments with it I found that direct sun was too intense
for saturated ammonium dichromate, unless I cut the exposure to a few
seconds, and that exposures in shade were about the same time as under
my light in the studio.

Cheers,

Katharine.