Re: A little gum test

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/15/03-02:28:36 PM Z

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Kate Mahoney wrote:
> > > Hi Mark, Less contrast with the saturated solution was
> > > postulated....so I'thought I'd give it a whirl. I have been getting
> > > rather flat prints so this is good news. The results (to me) show some
> > > of the reason why I've been having some trouble with this technique -
> > > obviously too much amm.di. I think the reason why the tones are better
> > > is that mostly I've just been overexposing with the amm. di. at the
> > > more concentrated level...

I still think you need to factor in at least 3 defining variables, or make
that 4. One that's omitted here is the viscosity of the emulsion and its
twin, development time. My finding was that using a larger proportion of
water to gum (that is, using more of a dilute dichromate solution that
made the emulsion thinner, or less viscid) and exposing longer made a
*harder* print that could stand more development time and thus give a
longer scale. The highlights held while the shadows peeled back.

In what have become the usual protocols of gum, the highlights -- in soft
viscid emulsion -- would have washed off. The belief has been (fostered
perhaps by someone whose name I dare not mention, tho initials are PA)
that gum will stain if not adequately gum arabicked. I found this not to
be so if the paper is gelatin sized.

PS. Is that how you spell viscid? But it's pronounced "viss kid," isn't
it?

J.