Re: Dreaded fungus

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 12/18/03-12:00:06 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Murphy" <pmurf@bellsouth.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: Dreaded fungus

> Years ago, I worked in a motion picture lab in San
Francisco where we
> offered a treatment for film to halt and prevent mold
growth. The name of
> the device escapes me, yet, it consisted of a steel
chamber in which large
> film reels could be inserted. The front of the chamber was
closed and
> it had a strong pressure seal. A solution of formaldehyde
or
> para-formaldehyde was kept in a reservoir that fed the
device. The
> chamber was pressurized and after the film was left for a
time it could
> be removed.
>
> Has anyone on the list heard of something like this? It
was a fairly
> common practice at one time.

  I wonder if this could be a process known as
Vaporate-Vacuumate which was advertised in the late 1940's.
It was supposed to harden film so that it would not scratch.
I've never known what exactly it was. Most hardeners of the
sort found in fixers harden the emulsion only when it is
wet. I think formaldehyde may actually harden it when dry.
Does the above name ring a bell?

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA