Re: New Year's resolutions

From: John ^lt;ap@darkroompro.com>
Date: 12/29/03-09:40:13 AM Z

At 04:05 PM 12/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>The list has been way too quiet for the holiday season, so I thought I would
>throw out a wacky idea that has been germinating in my mind during the
>precious few idle moments that holidays generally bring: What if I actually
>organized my negatives, and I don't know, maybe even filed them in some sort
>of logical sequence?
>
>So how do incredibly self-actualized, virtuous and organized people actually
>do this? I'm thinking that an ideal system would be organized around the
>common human need for over-simplification and sloth. So what is the
>simplest and easiest system that might actually work? My system of
>organizing by 'piles' may have reached it's logical end now, and some of the
>piles look dangerously close to their maximum angle of repose.
>
>Clay

         In my opinion, it's pretty hard to get a handle on it after you
have had the films around for long time. I put all of my negs in plastic
sleeves, date with month/year produced. The roll or sheet is tagged with a
twincheck and the twin is affixed to a 4X6 card with the month/year of
production along with a more thorough description. The negatives are placed
in 3-ring binders by Vue-All along with a contact sheet or enlargements as
appropriate to the need. Each binder is labled with the overall
subject/theme of the contents such as "B-45, Commercial, Still life,
12/2001~3/2002" or "B-60, Personal, Landscape, 6/2002~12/2002". One of my
friends shoots a 4X5 chrome of his slides and also places that with the
index card. He's actually faster at locating an image and all of it's
details than most computer systems. He has to be. He's one of the top stock
photographers in the world. Try keeping stock agencies honest these days !

John

---