Re: Gelatin (waterproofing)

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 12/31/03-05:37:30 PM Z

That sounds like a positive direction. I'm wondering what oil or
combination of oils would dry to a film without causing loss of
detail in the highlights of the matrix. I know that both the Woodburytype
and the Stannotype required light oiling and removal of the excess before
the gelatin-pigment mixture was poured into the mold. This of course
prevented the gelatin from sticking to the metal surface. I believe that the
Heimsoeth method did not require additional oiling during printing. Thus,
eliminating another step in making a Woodburytype print.

I'm looking at readily available polymers at the moment:
http://www.aquaseal.com/map-seal.html
It may prove to be too thick of a coating for this process however.

A substance is needed that will penetrate the gelatin and leave a micro-
thin layer on the surface. I'd like to hear more about the drying oil idea.

-best regards,

Phillip