Re: Gelatin (waterproofing)

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 12/31/03-06:17:25 PM Z

Philip,

The drying oil, as opposed to non-drying oil, is the type of oil that will
dry rapidly (the non-drying one will eventually dry too but the process
takes years). Drying oil is usually usually used in polishing (as in
polishing piano, for example). It dries to a thin film. I think it can be
thinned to followed the gelatin image in some way. One type is Tung oil but
there are others available in hardware store. You could probably try any one
and see if the basic operation would seem to work.

The reason I thought about drying oil is there was another patent that I
read a few years ago. Someone was using this drying oil idea of making color
printing. He was suggesting doing collotype printing on a layer of dried
drying oil. There are several methods that is proposed. One is after one
printing has dried, another coat of drying oil is coated and the next color
is printed. Another method is to printing different colors on different
layers and then transfer them to a final substrate.

That gave me an impression that the drying oil could be very thin and
transparent. And the thought of it being oil repelling water suggests that
the gelatin would be released easier. Perhaps oiling would not even be
needed.

But of course I am talking from imagination and theory only. Hope it helps a
little. If it works, please let us know as we on the list are always
interested in different methods (although probably not many are doing
Woodburytype).

That patent that I mentioned (again, I don't have the title), but it is
available online and you can do a search. If I remember correctly, if you
search for collotype (in the abstract or the content) you might find it; but
the content is not related to your application in Woodburytype though. It
might be faster to just go out and buy a can of drying oil. :-)

Dave S