Re: oil printing & hard gelatin

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 02/03/03-01:31:23 PM Z

Hi

Persistence pay off - I'll try selective coloring with gum. I realized my
kids have a variety of watercolor pigments at home. I have everything I
need to try this.

One of my co-worker has given me a cast-off container of gelatin. Does
anyone know of an easy way of determining the bloom rating of this?

Gord

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:
> >

> > I could do this with gum, but it would involve a _lot_ of masking.
> >

> This is true, if you wanted there to be nothing at all, not even a very
> faint almost invisible image, in the areas where you didn't want color.
> But at the risk of sounding like one of those evangelizing fanatics who
> won't take no for an answer, I'll add that using Jack's method of
> setting the image in gum using just gum and dichromate with no pigment,
> the image in the noncolor areas would only be visible at certain angles
> if probably cleared, since gum itself is clear and the dichromate should
> be entirely cleared out of the hardened gum.
>
> Or you could do like Giacomelli did and just opaque out on the negative
> the areas you don't want to print; in that case you'd need a separate
> negative for each of the colors.
>
> Okay, I'll leave off evangelizing about gum; go in peace and print oil
> if that's what you want to do, but just wanted to make sure you
> understood what you were deciding against.
>
> By the way, most photographers' supply houses have gelatin at different
> hardnesses.
>
> Katharine Thayer

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2