Re: metamerism with Epson printers

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/10/03-03:34:28 PM Z

Galina,

I attended a digital workshop in Chicago given by the current gurus and they
gave a demonstration with the Epson 7600 and the Colorbyte RIP. They printed
a variety of targets including gray scales and had a color corrected light
booth for viewing. They were probably the most neutral gray scales I have
ever seen come off an inkjet. Actually they were such a neutral gray that
they were not that pleasant for me to look at! It would be interesting to
see something printed with a pt/pd tone to it.

I think the 7600 should be a good choice for negatives provided there is a
substrate that works with it, such as the Pictorico. I believe someone on
this list has tried this with either a 2200 or a 7600 and should be able to
comment about it—I think the issue would be whether or not the negatives dry
quickly after printing and how much the ink tends to puddle—I don't have any
info on this. The 7600 should be capable of printing a very fine, smooth
negative, considering the small, variable picoliter size of the dots.

I have an Epson 10000, but I follow the info on the large format printers
closely and I agree with what Jack has said below. The Atkinson profiles
have gotten a very good review and they are free. I wish he would do this
for the 10000. I'm paying at least $100/profile for each paper I have
profiled—plush the cost of two mailings of the output. The two that I have
had done by Profile City have been no better than the standard profiles that
came with the Epson.

You may want to get the printer and play with it first before you put the $$$
out for the RIP. Try the free profiles first.

Mark Nelson