Re: metamerism with Epson printers

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 02/11/03-12:01:28 AM Z

Greetings, all--

I'm currently running two 7600's--one dye, the other chrome. I use the dye
model exclusively for producing negatives on Pictorico (which is actually an
adapted 3M product, I believe). The 2200 or 9600 should be equally viable,
given that they are built on the same technology.

On the paper (positive) side of things, I'm using the chrome model with
equal success, but I am not fond of the Epson papers. I prefer Fabriano Uno
for final prints.

I understand that Cone Editions is working on new profiles for their neutral
carbon inks for the 7600 (etc.) series, but I've seen no hard data. (FWIW,
I spent many months--years?-- agonizing over these neutral carbon inks for
negatives, and finally gave up the chase. Epson dyes are the way to go,
negatively speaking.) I still prefer the *idea* of carbon for B/W
positives, mostly because I like the subtleties of tonal transition. I use
the Cone inks with the Epson driver. My workhorse printer for carbon prints
is still the 3000, temperamental and arthritic as it is.

I have yet to see any third party profile that improves on what's possible
in the resident PS options--given time and understanding (Zen and The Art of
Epson Maintence). . . but I'm open to new experiences!

My best to all,
John

www.photogecko.com