Re: Ortho film enlargements..

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/11/03-11:39:45 AM Z

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, John Cremati wrote:

> They resemble continuous tone images.. He claims that a true continuous tone
> image can not be made on lith film , but by various techniques such as
> preflashing the film, stand developing , fine line developer, and frosted
> glass printing the dot size of the ortho film becomes so small and precise
> that it closely resembles continuous tone.. ... Does anyone have any
> experience , opinions or theories on this?

John, as I remember the Seeley (Sealy?) book, it's maybe 15 years old,
before the alt list "developed" lith film into an art... but I'd been
using it for years before that and so had my teachers. If handled
accordingly, lith does indeed do a continuous tone... not as clear a base
and fine grain as others no doubt, and trickier to perfect, but..... I
could show you the test strips. !!!

I wouldn't use it for platinum or a process where the aesthetic is based
on fine grain and detail, but not every process is so based... And some
lith negs, like Liam's reversals do indeed compete with $20 a sheet large
size "conventional" film.

PS. Is it OK to talk about negatives here if they're FILM negatives?

Just asking...

J.